Tuesday 31 July 2018

De Bellis Antiquitatis at C.O.G.S.

After enjoying my initial experience of having a go at playing "De Bellis Antiquitatis" (DBA) with 6mm miniatures at the "Joy of Six" wargames show a few weeks ago, I ordered the rule book, and printed out a set of paper tokens to try and get my head around the rules. The rules aren't very long, but the text is quite dense.. and a bit hard to fathom. Still enthusiastic however, I made contact with the DBA players at the Chesterfield Open Games Society via their Facebook group and asked if I could get in on a few games with them.
Nick and Simon from C.O.G.S. were keen to play and teach, and they roped in another chap (didn't catch his name) as a fourth person, so we had two games going on at once. It is much easier to learn by playing with someone patient who is already familiar with a game than trying to figure it all out from scratch from a book.  I ended up playing 3 games altogether and had a great time.
 
We played with Simon and Nick's miniatures and scenery, 15mm rather than 6mm this time (They use the same sized bases - just less miniatures per base)..
 
Game 1 - Swiss Army vs French Ordonnance Army (around 1500 AD)

Swiss pikemen anticipate a charge from the French cavalry

Game 2 - Marian Romans vs Revolting Sicilian Slaves (around 100 BC)

I was the Romans... It didn't go well for me!

The game going on next to me... Samurai vs...?? - all Nick's beautifully painted miniatures.

Game 3 - Romans vs Sicilians again - a much closer game this time...
 but Simon's Sicilians were triumphant in the end..
I am going to work on a couple of armies... Romans for sure, as they have so many enemies! - and Ancient Britons I think to start with. I think I will go with 6mm for my first two armies, as the miniatures are pretty cheap...

Thanks again to Nick and Simon for teaching, and letting me play with their stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment