Tuesday 17 July 2018

Joy of Six 2018.... 6mm wargames show...

I found out about the "Joy of Six" wargames convention last year, unfortunately it was after it had been on. I made a determined effort to get there this year (which wasn't too hard as it is held at one of the Universities in my home city of Sheffield!). The "Joy of Six" is a convention specifically for 6mm scale wargames... which means tiny figures... but lots of them - and scope for playing all kinds of battles.
 


 
I would estimate there being around 150 people there, there were 24 games on the go, and about 10 stalls selling 6mm miniatures, scenery and rulebooks...
 
I got to play two games whilst I was there; A game of "Commands and Colors Ancients" - actually a boardgame by Richard Borg quite similar to his "Memoir 44" game - but we played on a handmade board with 6mm armies replacing the tokens, which was very cool! And I got taught how to play a game of "De Bellis Antiquitatis" by one of the Chesterfield gamers from C.O.G.S. which I really liked. A quick tactical battle game played on a small 24"x24" board. I really enjoyed both games, and I have now ordered the De Bellis Antiquitatis rulebook. The C.O.G.S. guys play "DBA" regularily, so I'm hoping I can get over and play some more with them...
 


Commands and Colors Ancients
De Bellis Antiquitatis
 
It was a really great day out, I met some really nice people, saw some very impressive scenery, and got to play a couple of excellent games. I picked up a couple of cheap Osprey skirmish rulebooks from one of the stalls too - "Broken Legions" and "Dragon Rampant" which look very interesting.

Here are some more random pics I took on the day:







No comments:

Post a Comment