Monday 9 April 2018

Model Railway day out...

My dad makes and runs model railways. I have a lot of memories of being dragged along to Model railway shows in the 1980s. It is a long time since I've been to one. My dad is a member of a Model railway club in Leicestershire, and a couple of weekends ago he was invited up here to show his layout at a 2 day exhibition in Sheffield. So my son and myself went along on one of the days to see him, and to help out on his display.
 
My dad does "N Gauge" which is quite a small scale. He makes and designs a lot of his models himself. His current layout (which fits on top of the spare single bed at my Mum and Dad's house) is of an imaginary Swiss village station. He and a friend had come up to take it in turns manning the display. My son was really into it, and did two 45 minute shifts running the trains - he loved it!
 

 
 


 
So it is well over 20 years since I was last at a model railway show... I remember there being a smelly fog of pipe and cigar smoke in my youth, luckily in these enlightened times we don't have to endure that kind of thing anymore! But apart from that, things don't seem to have changed much, although I guess technology has moved on quite a bit.... some of the scenery had little LED lights in it, some of the mechanical bits are computer controlled these days, and there was quite a bit of scenery that had been 3D printed.... these following pictures are random ones of various other impressive bits of scenery we saw...
 

This layout is "Z Gauge... really tiny!! - The bridge was 3d printed...










 



No comments:

Post a Comment