Saturday 9 November 2019

Frostgrave - The Storm of Undeath

   "The Storm of Undeath" is the fourth scenario in the Thaw of The Lich Lord campaign for Frostgrave. The table for this scenario was set up with a 12" empty space in the centre. The corners of the square were pillars. Randomly placed were six armoured skeletons lying down in the square. There were three treasure tokens in the empty space, and two were placed using the usual rules. The rest of the board was set up as normal... The special rules for this game stated that because of a severe snow storm, line of sight was limited, and all shooting actions had a penalty to succeed. After the end of the third turn we had to roll every turn to see if lightning struck the pillars. The lightning would activate the armoured skeletons, and any wizard standing within the square would get a nice lump of experience points...
  
   We decided to use Ulterior Motive cards... both were secret. Lizzy had "Construct Activation" which meant that if she got to a magic gateway on my side of the table, she could attempt to release a Golem that would join her side, and if it survived the game she could add it to her warband for future games taking the place of a soldier... I had "Rogue Homunculus" which meant that I had to place a zombie in the centre of the table to represent the Homunculus. As soon as anyone got within 6" of it it would be activated, and from then on it would do a magical shooting attack on anyone near enough.. the magical creature would also shout out magical secrets every turn. If I managed to kill it I would get a nice chunk of experience... If anyone from Lizzy's team managed to stay near enough to hear it's secret magical ramblings she would get a small amount of experience every turn...

The table set up at the start of the game...


 
The first few rounds saw both teams creeping towards the centre of the table, Lizzy's spellcasters both kept a bit of a distance, whilst she sent her heavy duty minions in to try and secure some treasures. Both my spellcasters managed to summon Minor Demons, and they went on into the centre to try and hinder Lizzy's team, whilst my Crossbowmen made for a walkway vantage point, and a couple of my guys headed straight for the Rogue Homunculus.. The secret of the homunculus didn't last for long, as Lizzy's team got near him in the second turn and he started shouting out his weird magic and blasting people with spells... a few of Lizzy's guys got in between to try and stop my guys from killing him... one of my Minor Demons headed over to try and do some damage... meanwhile Lizzy's Apprentice had climbed up a walkway on the other side of the square, she took a risk and attempted quite a hard spell - "Planar Tear" - and it was a success! - It opened a rift in the fabric of the universe and my Demon disappeared into it!!

My Wizard approaches the centre of the table, his demon sent before him...
...meanwhile one of my thieves drags off a treasure chest.


Two Minor Demons on the rampage...
Quite a bit of skirmishing went on the centre of the table, and I eventually managed to finish off the humunculus - The lightening struck at the end of round 4. Luckily my Wizard was within the square at the time - so he got his experience points for that! - The armoured skeletons woke up and started attacking...mostly my guys.. and whilst this was going on Lizzy's dudes were sneaking off with the treasures..Meanwhile my two crossbowmen were trying to shoot at anything they could - and didn't manage to hit anything at all!  My other Minor Demon was knocked out... and a wandering vampire appeared just behind my apprentice as the last treasure token was picked up. Vampires can only be damaged by magic weapons - and only my Wizard had one, and he was a long way away. One of my infantrymen was nearby, and together they managed to push back the vampire.. my apprentice ran for it - leaving the infantryman to fend for himself - luckily he managed to keep the vampire engaged and he survived to the end of the game!


The armoured skeletons wake up!
   Lizzy's wizard made it to the magic gate and released the golem... Then Lizzy's team all started making for the board edges, taking the golem, and three treasure tokens with them... It wasn't long before they were all off, and that was the end of this scenario... we both maxed out at 300points of experience each, Lizzy got her golem and 3 treasures...one of her team was injured so has to rest for the next scenario.. I managed to kill the homunculus, my team killed all six of the armoured skeletons, and I ended up with two cool treasures: "The Book of The Rangifer" which means I can recruit a Rangifer as a soldier on my team (more on them in the next scenario)... and a "Drinking horn of healing" which restores 2 health points every time I use an action to drink from it.. two of my soldiers were knocked out, but both made full recoveries.

Lizzy's wizard releases the golem.

My rubbish crossbowmen looking down on the centre of the table...

No comments:

Post a Comment