Sunday 25 August 2013

These days it's all about Star Wars X-Wing.....


I resisted the urges. I tried. But then they showed all 6 StarWars films on the telly....


A-wings

B-wings

Y-wings

Death Star Turrets

Ties

Lambda Shuttle

Paper ships so far.....

X-Wings and more Ties next......


When I was at the UK GAMES EXPO I poked my head in the tournament room and I saw how popular the STAR WARS X-WING miniatures game is. A couple of people at my local gaming club are into it too.... The base set is reasonably priced, so I got myself a copy, knowing that I would have some local folks to play with. The rules are easy to learn - and great fun!... The thing is - as soon as I held the box in my hands I knew I "needed" more ships (this isn't actually necessary to play the game - but additional ships are available to buy for around £12 each for the smaller ones and £20 for the bigger ones like the Millenium Falcon).... I was checking out the page on the BoardGamesGeek site and found a great link for User created material:

 http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/938057/collection-of-user-created-material-for-x-wing-min

....and on this list is a link to 1:270 scale Paper ships....

http://sw-xwing.xooit.fr/t358-papercraft-BANQUE-PATRONS-PAPIER-pour-X-WING-psd.htm

Woah!!! - I thought - I can make my own papercraft ships!!! And so this is indeed what I've made a start on. This French site has PDFs for various ships on it that have been rescaled for the X-Wing game.... but the original designer of these papercraft mini's is Momir Farooq, and he's got his own site:

http://www.momirfarooq.com/swstarfighter/index.htm

The original PDFs are all on there - plus a load of other interesting stuff. These original PDFs are photoshop layer PDFs - so there are loads of variants that are available. The original designs were made for the Wizards of The Coast StarShip Battles game, which is at a different scale - but on photoshop I enlarged all the ships by 150% - this seems to be pretty much spot on for X-Wing.

And so far I've attempted A-Wings, B-Wings, Y-Wings, a Lambda Shuttle and some Tie fighters.... X-Wings and more Ties are next.... I sent off to LITKO for some X-Wing compatible flight stands... (Just waiting for a large one to arrive for the Shuttle). These work out at around £2 each including postage... So each extra ship instead of costing me £12 is costing a couple of quid plus some papercrafting fun!!

http://www.litko.net/products/Space-Fighter%2C-Deluxe-Flight-Stand.html

Obviously these ships won't be any good for playing official tournaments etc - but for bulking out your forces for fun with your friends and family - they're great!!

And you can create all the other templates and cards you will need to play with your papercraft minis using the files from here:

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=183

I will post more updates as I create more ships....

No comments:

Post a Comment